Heroes in Our Midst: A Community Salute to those Who Have Served
Concept: Create an opportunity to recognize bowlers, bowling center staff, area leaders, and community members who are serving or have served in the military. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways – from a simple display to a special event at the center.
Through in-center announcements, ask customers for the names of individuals they would like to honor. Request that bowlers bring in a brief paragraph about the individual, specifically with respect to their service to our country, as well as copies of photos and awards (it’s best to avoid accepting any original documentation in case of loss).
Display: Post the honors, photos and memorabilia on an existing bulletin board or create a display at your control counter. Decorate with American flags provided in the kit or other appropriate art.
Throughout the week: Display BVL posters and brochures at the control counter and around the center. Play the BVL National Anthem DVD before the start of leagues.
Promote the tournament
- Make in-center announcements
- Solicit suppliers and area retailers to
provide items to raffle during the week
At the tournament
- Play the BVL/Re-Creation DVD National Anthem
- Recognize area servicemen or women and veterans
- Confirm that proceeds will be going to BVL to
help support America’s veterans
Additional ideas to help support the fund-raising effort:
- Ask bowlers for donations throughout the week.
- Decorate a drop box at the control counter.
- Use enclosed pin art.
- Copy on to white, blue and red paper. $1.00 = white pin, $5.00 =blue pin, 10.00 = red pin. Write in contributors name on the pins and post them around the board or control counter.
- Encourage bowlers to contribute a penny a pin for their series
- Bowlers generating more than $5.00 can be awarded a “Support The Troops” wristband.
- Support bowlers’ contributions by matching their contributions to BVL
- Contribute 10¢-25¢ for each game rolled during BVL week to BVL